Gout is a type of arthritis that can affect different body parts like
the ears, small joints on the hands, wrists, ankles or knees. Symptoms
frequently include acute pain, swelling, intense tenderness and
inflammation in the joints.
The exact cause is unknown, but a high amount of uric acid
in the body is one of the reasons. Some other possible causes are
genetics, excessive consumption of alcohol, lack of physical exercise,
excessive protein intake and too much stress.
is linked to other types of health problems, such as hypertension,
diabetes, and uric acid kidney stones, so it is important to get proper
medical treatment. In addition, some easy-to-follow home treatments can
promote healing and provide symptom relief.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for gout.
1. Apple Cider VinegarApple
cider vinegar, which is used to treat headaches and acid stomach, also
helps treat gout and arthritis. The acidity in apple cider vinegar will
help relieve acute pain. You can also add honey to the remedy to boost
the body’s anti-inflammatory response.
- Mix one teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Drink it two to three times daily.
2. Ginger RootThe anti-inflammatory properties present in ginger root can be very helpful in relieving pain and inflammation. There are many ways to use ginger root in the treatment of gout.
equal amounts of fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and dried ginger
root powder (sonth). Have one teaspoon of this mixture along with warm
water. Take it twice daily.
- You can simply add ginger root in cooking recipes, or eat a small, raw piece of ginger root daily.
can also add one-half teaspoon of ginger root to one cup of boiling
water and mix it well. Drink this solution at least once daily.
option is to make a paste of ginger root with a little water and apply
this paste on the affected area. Leave it on for about half an hour. Do
this once daily.
3. Baking SodaOne significant
factor contributing to gout is an increase of uric acid in the body.
Baking soda can help lower the amount of uric acid, giving you relief
from the pain.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Drink this solution four times a day but not more than that.
- Continue up to two weeks.
4. Lemon JuiceTo
get relief from gout pain, it is essential to alkalize the body and
neutralize the excess uric acid in blood stream. This can be done easily
with fresh lemon juice and baking soda. Along with lemon juice, also
eat other fruits rich in vitamin C to strengthen the body tissues.
the juice of one lemon with one-half teaspoon of baking soda. Let it
sit for a few seconds until the fizzing stops, and then mix it in a
glass of water. Drink it immediately.
- Another option is to add the juice of half a lemon to a glass of water and drink it three times a day.
whether sweet or sour, can also be very helpful in treating gout due to
their antioxidant properties. Cherries also contain anthocyanins, which
can reduce inflammation as well as minimize gout flare-ups.
- For gout patients, eating 15 to 20 cherries a day is highly recommended. For better results, start your day with some cherries.
- Another option is to drink a glass of black cherry juice daily. You can also add a few minced garlic cloves in it.
6. Epsom SaltEpsom
salt is another useful ingredient for home treatment of gout and other
forms of arthritis. The high amount of magnesium present in Epsom salt
will also improve the condition of your heart and lower high blood
pressure. Soaking the affected body part in warm water mixed with Epsom
salt relaxes aching muscles and relieves pain.
- For a leisurely bath, add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water.
- Soak your body in it until the water starts losing heat.
- Do this once a week. If you have severe gout, you can try it two or three times a week.
are also very effective in treating gout. The high potassium content in
bananas will help convert uric acid crystals into liquid form that will
be flushed out of the body later through urination. Bananas also
contain moderate amounts of vitamin C, which can be very effective in
managing swelling and pain.
- Simply eat one or two bananas daily, and soon you will notice improvement in your condition.
- Another option is to add one ripe banana to one-half cup of yoghurt. This will also help to keep diarrhoea away.
is very common to hear people say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor
away.” It’s a good, healthy habit to eat at least one apple daily,
especially when you have gout.
Experts suggest eating an apple
after each meal. The malic acid present in apples will help neutralize
uric acid in the body and thereby relieve gout pain and inflammation. If
you do not like to eat apples, you can try apple juice. Along with an
apple, it is also a good idea to eat raw carrots daily.
9. Activated Charcoal
charcoal is known to absorb uric acid; hence, it can be safely used for
gout treatment. Those suffering from gout should take a charcoal bath
twice or three times a week.
- Mix one-half cup of charcoal
powder with some water until it forms a paste. Put the paste in a tub
and add more water. Soak your affected body part for at least half an
hour. This remedy is a good solution for gout in the ankle joint or big
- For other affected body parts, make a charcoal paste and
apply it on the skin. Leave it on for half an hour; then rinse it off
with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, you can take activated
charcoal capsules orally to relieve gout pain and inflammation. Consult
your doctor before using this option.
10. Cold Water
the affected area in cold water will reduce swelling as well as pain.
When you have gout, do not use ice directly on the skin; it can damage
the skin and make your condition worse.
- Immerse the inflamed, swollen joint in cold water for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat the process several times a day.
can use an ice pack for about 15 minutes, but wrap it in a towel before
placing it on the affected area. Do this twice a day. Avoid excess use
of ice packs because it can lead to crystallization of uric acid.
if you are suffering from gout, simply try these natural remedies to
get relief from the pain and inflammation. Bear in mind, there is no
quick cure. Time and determination are required to treat gout.